Thursday, October 27, 2005

Saving on Winter Heating

How do Hobie and I keep our winter gas bill down? We never turn on the heat! Well, I can't say never, but it's rare. I have a rule that if it gets to be 59° or below in the apartment, I turn on the heat. This doesn't happen too often, if we keep the windows closed. See, the other night I didn't realize that it was going to dip below freezing, but we had the windows open because we do like to sleep in a cold room. But if it's cold in the morning, I just don't want to get out of bed, and even when I finally do, I move awful slow. So the next morning I closed the windows and turned on the heat for a few minutes just to nudge it up above 60°. Since then we've had gorgeous weather with nights in the 40s and days in the 60s so the temperature in the apartment has been perfect. Even with cold nights, our apartment will warm up quite a bit due to all of our windows being large and facing south.

I've started entering the last year's utility bills in a spreadsheet so I can make some comparisons to how much we're spending this year. We'll see how we do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home