Monday, May 08, 2006

Frugal Fun with Friends

You know how when you make spaghetti sauce you end up with leftovers for days? and days? Shortly after I decided that those leftovers would be last night’s dinner, I decided that there was plenty to share, too, so I called up some friends. I asked them to bring a salad, and we’d provide dinner, wine and dessert. The wine was a Christmas gift from my work, and dessert was a carrot cake I made from scratch earlier in the day. Everything was so much cheaper than it would have been if we had eaten out (like the four of us used to do all the time together).

After dinner, the guys played some computer games, and then after dessert we played a totally awesome, easy and fun game called “Apples to Apples”. The best part about this game (besides the laughs) is that there is no complicated set up, it’s just a few decks of cards, no pieces to lose.

Oh yeah, and my carrot cake was so delicious. I’m of the opinion that it’s hard to beat commercial pies and cakes. Like, it’s actually difficult and requires some amount of baking experience to get a better flavor and texture than store bought desserts. I’ve made half a dozen blueberry pies with pre-made pie crust and only one came out how I wanted it. Who knows how much I’d screw it up if I tried to do my own crust.

But this cake I made yesterday was fantastic. For those who want to know, it’s the recipe from Joy of Cooking.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best kind of fun is the frugal kind. I think this applies to almost every situation. Personally, I know that my girlfriend would rather have me take her to the beach for a picnic then go to some opera or something like that.

The same thing with my brother. The most fun we have is playing NCAA 2007 for the Playstation 2 or throwing the football around outside. Two thumbs up for frugal fun.

6/19/2006 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home