Monday, March 20, 2006

2006 Goals Update

  • Merge finances with Mike.
I've added him to my bank account, and when his direct deposit is switched, he can close down his old account. I've added him as an authorized user to my Citi Dividend card so we can earn 5% on all the gas he buys. I still need to add him as a joint owner of my savings accounts at ING and HSBC.

  • Pay off personal loan to Dad.
This will be complete as soon as he cashes the check.

  • Pay off Discover card.
I transferred this to a new Citi Simplicity card at 0% for 12 months, but after the next statement closing I will transfer about half of our wedding gifts out of HSBC to pay off most of it (leaving $2k as our mini emergency fund). This will leave about $200 which I will pay off by the end of April.

  • Increase net worth by $10,000.
I increased my single-person net worth by an amazing $4778 during January and February, but I will be starting over again with a combined married-people net worth with Hobie on March 31. So I am revising this goal to "Increase combined net worth by $7500 between March 31 and December 31."

  • Read one non-fiction book per month.
So far I have read four non-fiction books:
  • A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bill Bryson
  • Your Money or Your Life, Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin
  • I'm a Stranger Here Myself, Bill Bryson
  • Debt-Proof Living, Mary M. Hunt


  • Read at least five additional books, fiction
I have read one fiction book, George R.R. Martin's A Feast for Crows, and am about 100 pages into Frank Herbert's Dune. Yes, I'm a nerd, but I do read a lot of books that aren't sci-fi or fantasy, too. You'll see. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Splat said...

Sounds like a solid financial plan.

For fiction, I recommend Saturday by Ian McEwan.

3/20/2006 9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home